Sunday, February 7, 2021

Storms, Hobo Stew , Tea Party and Honey Bees and Pirates

Happy Sunday afternoon everyone! I hope you have been having a wonderful day so far! I sure have! Last night we had a big thunderstorm here with lots of thunder and lightning and even a tornado watch! It was kind of scary, but Mommie and Daddy prayed that the tornado would not touch down anywhere and that we would stay safe in our home, and you know what?  God heard their prayers! Even though it rained and rained and rained, and the lightning was really bright and the thunder was loud and noisy, nothing bad happened. Actually, Mommie said it was good that we got so much rain because it filled our pond back up where it was starting to get too dry!

Still Waters Pond looks a lot happier today

And "Little Duck" was bobbing around having a good old time...


She is so much fun to watch, like she's playing "Marco Polo" popping up and down in the water.

Mommie says she doesn't understand why she's still here alone, but she seems to be taking care of herself and is happy to have the pond all to herself today!


There she goes...skipping, hopping and flying across the water...and on to another spot to keep popping up and down again...


Mommie read to us from Psalm 147 this morning in our "de-vo-shuns", and these verses kind of remind me of last night:

7.  "Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
sing praises on the harp to our God,
8.  Who covers the heavens with clouds,
Who prepares rain for the earth,
Who makes grass to grow on the mountains.
9.  He gives to the beast its food, 
and to the young ravens that cry."


Mommie said that all that nice rain also helps the flowers to blossom and the trees and grass to grow. Plus it warmed up enough today to take a walk without my jacket.  I am still wearing my pretty purple Sunday dress.  

Look how beautiful these flowers are now!


But Mommie warned me to be careful and not get too close, because with the sun shining and the warmer weather, the bumblebees and honeybees are out getting pollen from the flowers to make honey!


Looky what we saw on the plum blossoms!!!

I am glad my nose wasn't on that flower when those bees came buzzing around!!


There were lots and lots of bees, so we decided we'd better stay farther away from the flowers for now.

But I wanted to tell you about what else we did anyway!

Last night when that big old thunderstorm was coming Mommie said it was a good day for "Hobo Stew". It had been a cloudy, windy, rainy day all day long, and kind of cold too. Mommie said Hobo Stew is perfect for that kind of day.  I asked Mommie, "What's a Hobo?"

Well, she said a long long time ago there were men who traveled by hopping on the railroad cars from town to town, looking for work. They were usually homeless, very poor and were willing to work for a meal. Hence many people would give them a bowl of soup or stew. This particular "Hobo Stew" was something Mommie said she learned to make when she was a Girl Scout. They would make it over a campfire in a large tin coffee can.  It has ground beef,  onions, carrots, potatoes, canned tomatoes and chopped cabbage in it. It can also have a bit of bacon in it for flavor.  I helped Mommie chop the vegetables and waited for it to get all cooked in the big pot on the stove. Then Mommie said we needed to make some cornbread to go with it:

So I helped her mix up the cornbread, and then she put it in a real heavy iron skillet and baked it in the oven. It smelled so good!! I couldn't wait to taste it with my "Hobo Stew".
It was all very very good, and we even ate up all the cornbread! Mommie said if she'd known I would like it so much she would have made another skillet full!

I like these pretty dishes that Mommie put the Hobo Stew in:

There are people skating on a pond! I asked Mommie if we could ever skate on Still Waters Pond, and she said no, because it never gets cold enough here in Florida to freeze the pond. It has to be very very cold and stay that way for a long time for the ponds to freeze. I wish it could freeze so I could learn to ice skate.  Mommie said we might have to find a place where they have an ice skating rink so I can do that sometime. That sounds like a lot of fun!

I liked this pretty plate that we put our cornbread on too. Those people are putting "sheaves" of wheat together to dry for the harvest. I asked Mommie what "sheaves" are, and she said they are the stalks of wheat that will be sent to the mill eventually to make flour to make bread! "Like cornbread, Mommie?" I asked. She said "Well, cornbread has corn meal in it and some wheat flour too."  Wow! So many things to learn! I wonder if I will ever know as much as Mommie about these things. Mommie said that she's still learning a lot of stuff too, and that we never stop learning no matter how old we are. 


Today after lunch Mommie said she wanted to have a little tea party with me on the porch. Since I was still dressed in my purple Sunday dress, she said we could use some purple flowered tea cups and tea pot and things...



We even used a purple tea bag, which Mommie said was called Jasmine Green Tea. I asked Mommie why it was called "green tea" if it was in a purple bag?  Mommie said green tea is a special kind of tea and that she thought it was better for us than the other kind of tea. But she really didn't explain the difference. Maybe she was tired of answering questions...I do ask a lot of questions.

And actually the tea looked kind of yellow and wasn't green at all. I don't understand. But it tasted good. Mommie said the wind was blowing pretty hard and that is why her hair looks funny.


I liked my jasmine green tea that looked yellow and came in a purple box. 


My cookie was good too.


Well, Mommie said we need to go for now.  The Super Bowl just started and Daddy wants her to watch it with him.  We liked hearing the people sing America the Beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner already.  And then those big jets flew over the people! That was amazing...and there were red rockets going up in the air like in the song. That was pretty cool! She said one of the teams that is playing is in a city not too far away,  and that is also where they are playing the game tonight! The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are playing against the Kansas City Chiefs. I think we are rooting for the Buccaneers since they are from Florida. I asked Mommie "what's a buck-can-neer?" She just asked my big brother Scott, and he said it is a "pirate".  I didn't want to ask anymore questions because I think Mommie is tired of answering questions, but, do you know what is a pi-rate? 


I wonder if Mommie can find a costume like this for me? 
Mommie said no, she likes me just the way I am.


Mommie said that we've had a very good day, and God has blessed us with many special things to make it so nice and we are very thankful. And so we should close this now with some happy thoughts.

Back to Psalm 147:1

"Praise the Lord!
For it is good to sing praises to our God; 
For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful."
Amen.


Bye bye for now my friends!  I hope you have a pleasant night too.

Love,

Lily Grace

xoxoxoxo
P.S. Yay!! Our Team Won!! Those "Buck-can-neers" are pretty good! My first Su-per bowl!
I asked Mommie what kind of soup is in the bowl? She said it was football soup! I don't know if I'd like that kind of soup, but whatever it was, it must have been good, because we won the game!! Now I have to go to bed. Good Night everyone!!  
Love, 
Lily Grace























10 comments:

  1. Yes, Miss Lily, you certainly do ask a lot of questions, but somehow, I think your Mommie doesn't mind. We all should ask more questions, especially when we want to understand things. And wasn't that a great Super Bowl game? We cheered for Tampa, too! Enjoy another adventurous day, little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Martha Jane! Mommie said she doesn't mind answering my questions but sometimes she doesn't know the answers and she has to look it up on something called "Wikipedia", which is like a book of answers on the computer. Mommie said when we want to know stuff about life and about God, we look it up in the Bible, because that is the BEST BOOK of answers for everyone! Oh, yes, the Super Bowl game was so much fun to watch. I did watch the whole game with my Daddy and my big brother Scott. They were cheering and talking about the "plays" in the game that I didn't understand, but they were very happy with how it all ended. It was really great!!! My brother Scott likes to watch that Mr. Brady play ball because he said they are the same age and so he identifies with him. Pretty neat. He said, "Just think, If I'd stuck with football I might have played with Tom Brady!" That was a fun thought. I hope you have had a good day. Mommie will tell about my day later on she said. Bye bye for now! Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a full day for you two! I have a tea pot with purple flowers too but only one tea cup and saucer so I guess my tea party would have to be for one - me! I'm glad that the Bucs won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Miss Melanie, but do you have any other cups and saucers? Mommie said they don't have to match to have a tea party, and she said because you have little granddaughters you need to have some tea cups and saucers so you can have tea parties with them before they get too big to enjoy it with you. Mommie said she wishes she had a little granddaughter to have tea parties with, and so she has them with me, and I LOVE it!! So, maybe you need to find some more cups and saucers and have some tea parties too. You can take pictures and send them to us! Your granddaughters would LOVE it!! We are glad the Bucs won too! That was a fun game! I like super bowls!! Love, Lily Grace.

      Delete
  3. Even though I was cheering for our Patrick Mahomes, I did enjoy seeing the Super Bowl for the first time through Lily's eyes.
    I think my mom had these same blue and white dishes ... my youngest now has them at her apartment, but I will take a closer look the next time I visit. Makes me think I need to start taking photos of these special objects before it's too late.
    LOVE this blog idea, Pam ... SO creative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hello Miss Molly! I believe you are a new visitor to my blog! I am so happy you came to visit me today! Mommie said you are one of her new friends and she loves to read the stories you write about your family. Mommie said she is sorry your friend Patrick Mahomes didn't win the game, but it was such an exciting game to have Mr. Tom Brady win another Super Bowl! Mommie said he made history!! Oh, I do hope your "youngest one" takes good care of those pretty blue and white dishes. Mommie says they are now collectible and lots of people like them. She has a lot of them, but she gave some away to some friends who helped them move into their house last year. She was happy to share some with them because she had too many and they really loved them. So that made everyone happy. And Mommie says, yes, you should take pictures of family dishes and antiques and such, and maybe even write about them in your blog to tell the history of them for your children to know about someday. That's what Mommie likes to do. She likes to remember where different things came from and who gave them to her. She says it makes them even more special. It's also good blogging material! Oh, we are so happy you visited here today. I do hope you will come back again. We love having new friends here! Bye bye for now. Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  4. Good morning Lily! Before I forget, I have to say you look so pretty in purple. Maybe that's supposed to be 'your' color? Boy oh boy, that hobo stew and cornbread looks de-lish. I had to smile at your asking so many questions.
    My oldest granddaughter was the same way. In fact, when I talked to my own (no-so) little boy yesterday, he was remembering how he had to fire Sarah 3 times one summer because she kept asking 'why?' at every turn.

    Having lived in Tampa Bay so many years, I'm glad they won, too. Not meaning to get political, but I sure like what Tom Brady stands for. I hope you're enjoying a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Myra! Thank you for liking my purple dress. I love it too, and my new Auntie Pamela (Mommie's friend) made the pretty little blouse that I was wearing with it. I was so happy to have it! Maybe purple IS my color! I do love it! And yes, that hobo stew and cornbread was really yummy. I think any hobo would be happy to have some of that anytime! I wonder if there are still hobos today? I need to ask Mommie! Oh, that would be another question, wouldn't it? But Mommie doesn't mind. She likes teaching me things. We enjoyed the football game, and I am glad you liked it too. Yes, we are thankful for good people. We are having a wonderful day. Mommie said she will have to write about it later! Bye Bye for now! Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  5. Lily Grace, you are such a lucky girl to have found such a nice mommie!! You all had quite a weekend and we were happy those Bucs won the Super Bowl, too!! Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, Thank you Miss Terri! I am very happy living here with my family. We have a lot of fun together. We enjoyed watching the football game together too. It was Super!!! Bye bye for now! Love, Lily Grace

      Delete

I am so happy you have come to visit with me today. Please sign my little guestbook so I will know who you are and we can get acquainted!

Easter Time!

Happy Easter Time everyone!!  Yesterday was Easter, and I hope you all had a wonderful day celebrating that Jesus came out of the dark damp ...