Friday, April 2, 2021

Learning About Good Friday


Today is Good Friday.  I asked Mommie to explain it to me, because I don't understand why we call today "Good Friday" if it is the day that Jesus died on the cross.  We have this cross in our front yard that my brother Benton built for Mommie last year:


I asked Mommie, "Why does it have that crown of thorns on it, and what does the purple cloth stand for?"



Mommie said that when the angry people wanted Jesus to be hung on that cross they did very mean things to Him.  This is what she read to me from the Bible, from the book of John chapter 19:1-3

"1.  So Pilate then took Jesus and had Him flogged. 2.  And the soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and placed it on His head, and put a purple cloak on Him; 3.  and they repeatedly came up to Him and said, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and slapped Him in the face again and again."

That made me feel very sad. I don't understand why the same people who were waving palm branches and crying "Hosanna!" to Jesus on Sunday are now yelling and screaming for Him to be crucified and are doing such mean and terrible things to Him.

Mommie said that it was because of the sins of all people that Jesus had to die.  He was the only perfect Man who never sinned, because He is God's Son. 

"But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed."
(Isaiah 53:5)

Mommie said that the Bible tells us that all of us have sinned.
 
(Romans 3:23)
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

We've been selfish and have wanted to only have our own way, and not God's way.  And no matter how hard we try, we cannot be perfectly good and sinless. 

"All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all."
(Isaiah 53:6)


And so, because God loves us so much, He had to send His own Son to die in our place and take away our sins so that one day we can live in heaven with Him forever.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
John 3:16

I am so glad that Jesus loves us enough that He was willing to suffer so much and die so that one day we can live with Him in heaven.  Mommie said that is our great hope and promise.  Today may be a sad day, but she said we shouldn't forget that "Easter is coming!"
    
And that's the best day of all!!













 

12 comments:

  1. Amen! There was no greater love, was there? 💜
    Your mommie is very wise, Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong. They are we but He is strong! Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes Jesus loves me! Yes Jesus loves me! The Bible tells me so!" Happy Easter Miss Myra!! Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Cathy!! Yes, Easter is coming!! Hope you have a very Happy Easter!

      Delete
  3. Lily Grace, you have a very smart Mommie. She explained everything perfectly! Easter brings us so much love from our Savior, Jesus Christ! Wishing you and all the family and wonderful Easter Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Thank you, Miss Terri! My Mommie says thank you, too! And yes, we are so loved because Jesus died and rose again!. We hope you have a blessed and wonderful Easter too!! Love, Lily Grace xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Your Mommie has told you the truth of all truths, Miss Lily Grace. You are one lucky and blessed young lady! Did you know my grand girls are with me right now? I'm going to make sure that they know the sacrifice that Jesus made for us so this Easter will be more meaningful to them than ever before. It is in the submission of Jesus to death on the cross that we are saved and able to submit our wills to Him.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Miss Martha Jane! I am SO happy to hear that your precious grand girls are with you right now! How wonderful for you AND for them, to all be together again for such a wonderful time as Easter! I know you will want to share with them all the wonderful story of how Jesus died for our sins on the cross on Good Friday, but my Mommie said the best is yet to come...Easter morning we will have a wonderful and amazing surprise when we find the stone has been rolled away from the tomb, and Jesus is alive!!! I am so excited to be having my very first Easter...it is a very happy time for all of us because Jesus isn't going to stay in that tomb!!! I hope you are taking lots of pictures of you with your grand girls! You are making wonderful memories together again!! Hurrah!! Thank You, Jesus!!

      Delete
    2. P.s., Please tell your grand girls that Lily Grace sends her love. I wish I could meet them in person!! I am sure we would all get along just fine!! Bye bye for now. Love, Lily Grace xoxoxoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Yes, Miss Lily Grace, Easter is on the way! I will share your post with my granddaughter, Virginia, so she truly understands what Jesus did for all of us. Blessings, little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful!! Hi Virginia!! I've heard so much about you! I am so happy you are visiting your Grammy now. I know that has made her very happy!! Have a happy happy Easter. Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  6. Lily Grace: HE HAS RISEN, INDEED! Because Jesus died for our sins, we await the day He comes again to live with us.

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you have come to visit with me today. Please sign my little guestbook so I will know who you are and we can get acquainted!

Easter Time!

Happy Easter Time everyone!!  Yesterday was Easter, and I hope you all had a wonderful day celebrating that Jesus came out of the dark damp ...