Saturday, April 17, 2021

Bluebirds, Blueberries, and Birdhouse Blues!

Welcome to the latest adventure with Lily Grace! We promise to tell you about our adventures no matter how blue they may be!
You may remember back in February I told you about the "Bluebirds of Happiness" and how happy we were to have the bluebirds taking up residence in our birdhouse! It was quite a happy time, and for a long while they kept house, coming and going and building their nest and sitting on the nest, and we thought for sure that someday we would see little baby bluebirds.  Well, sadly one day we woke up and saw only the remains of the nest pulled out of the birdhouse and no sign of the bluebirds anywhere.  That was several weeks ago, and there was no sign of them ever again, until yesterday! And all of a sudden there they were again, checking out the birdhouse and starting to bring in nesting material to start a new nest. (Mommie had cleaned out the old nest).  


We were so excited to see them back again, because Mommie and Daddy had actually moved the birdhouse to a new location.


My big brother Benton and Auntie Rose brought us this nice metal pole so we could attach the birdhouse to it, and put it in a new place so the predators would have a harder time getting into the birdhouse.  It is a lot closer to the house and away from the trees more, although it doesn't look like it in this picture, but it is.

Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird checked it out thoroughly and seemed quite pleased with the new location and began setting up housekeeping right away.

That's Mrs. Bluebird inspecting the house.

It was quite an exciting day... there's Father and Mother Goose down in the pond having their morning breakfast while Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird are inspecting the birdhouse.  All so happy and serene. (that's a big word Mommie taught me that means peaceful).

Doesn't Mr. Bluebird look so happy and pretty sitting there?

Well, that was yesterday.  It rained a lot last night and this morning, and we didn't see Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird at all this morning. But we figured they'd show up after the rain stopped.

But then we looked outside and who popped his head out of the birdhouse but Mr. Chickadee!!!


(Could be Mrs.Chickadee...they are harder to tell apart)  And all morning after the rain stopped he was flying in and out of the birdhouse and acting like it was HIS house! Mommie tried to tell him that it was already taken by Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird, but he just chattered away at her saying "chickadeedeedeedee" and didn't pay her any mind at all.

Mommie was getting worried that the Chickadee family would take over the birdhouse before Mr. and Mrs. Bluebird came back with their furniture. 

Then all of a sudden after lunch we see Mr. Bluebird show up again, and he flew right inside like he owned the place.  I don't know where Mr. Chickadee was, but he wasn't around right then.


So Mr. Bluebird started flying in and out again, and Mrs. Bluebird was  flitting around in the tree too, and so Mommie and I were relieved that maybe the Bluebirds would be able to secure the house before the chickadee family.


Mr. Bluebird sure looked like he was ready to take over.  

But then he flew away, and Mr. Chickadee flew back in, and now we don't know who is going to end up with the house!
So stayed tuned for the next episode of the Birdhouse Saga to find out who wins!

Meanwhile, we've sure been enjoying eating those blueberries we got the other day!

Mommie made some blueberry bran muffins and also put some on her cheerios along with some sliced bananas. Yummy! I loved that too!!

Look  how pretty our own blueberry bushes are looking:


Mommie and Daddy bought some pine bark mulch to put around the bottoms of the plants like the man said to do. He said they like "acidic" soil, and the pine bark helps make it that way so they will grow better.


The man also said to cut the bushes down like in half so they will grow better,  but Mommie said not until we are finished eating all these berries first!


Mommie picks them off the bushes and we eat them right then and there as soon as they ripen! They are so sweet and juicy and yummy.


And there are a lot of them!


We also put some pine mulch around the little azalea bushes that Mommie and Daddy planted a few weeks ago. They like pine mulch too.


Now, back inside,  because it was raining this morning we decided it was a good time to bake some cookies because Daddy said he wanted some of those good coconut pecan cookies again.

Of course I helped! I love to help Mommie bake things. 


And I really like to help Mommie eat the warm cookies right out of the oven! That's when they taste the best, don't you think?


Then I played with my little fairy garden friends for a while.


Have you met my little fairy friends?  This is "Flora" and "Fawna".  You've already heard about "Flora" in that little story book I read to you.  "Fawna" is another special fairy friend. I named her "Fawna" because she is holding a little baby fawn in her arms.  Mommie said that sometime maybe we will see a real baby fawn in the woods where we walk. I hope so.  Meanwhile, I like to play with my little friends. They are very happy and helpful little fairies who like to do nice things for people. Remember the other story I read to you before about Lily's Lovely Garden?  Well, these are some of my little fairy friends from those nice stories.  Sometime we will have to tell you some more happy stories.


Here's a happy picture...this is a beautiful male Wood Duck swimming in Still Waters Pond.  Isn't he really pretty?


Now here's an interesting picture. We took our walk today in our usual place where we like to walk, and all of a sudden we saw this animal over in the woods.  Mommie thought at first it must be a little bear cub:


As we got closer it sure looked like a little bear cub, or maybe a dog...but mostly a bear cub. But it was sitting very very still:


Upon closer look, we realized it was just a tree stump!
But it sure "stumped" us!! How about you?
Didn't you think it was a bear cub too?


Well, that's all for today. I have to go help Mommie get supper ready. She said we are having hamburgers and corn on the cob. I LOVE corn on the cob, don't you?
You can CLICK HERE for another story about that if you don't remember me telling you about it before.

Okay, that's all folks.
Wanna sing a little song with me?

"Jesus loves me, this I know;
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
We are weak but He is strong!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so!"



Hope to see you in church tomorrow!! 
Bye Bye for now.
Love,
Lily Grace






 

14 comments:

  1. Miss Lily Grace, I do hope the bluebirds will win out in the end, although I love the little chickadees, too. I'm with your Mommie on the blueberry bushes - wait until they are through producing before trimming them. With all those birds around, I'm surprised they haven't tried to steal the blueberries. You are lucky!
    Hope Daddy enjoyed the cookies. I'm sure you did!
    Blessings, little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Miss Martha Jane! Yes, we are cheering for the Bluebirds, but Mommie said maybe we need to get another birdhouse for the Chickadees. Actually, her big sister Doris suggested that, and Mommie said, "but how will they know which one is theirs? They can't read!" So we will have to think about that and maybe put out another house. We will soon have a whole village of birdies if we do that! Oh, and Mommie said that so far the birdies haven't found the blueberries. We try to pick the blue ones off as soon as they ripen so they won't see them. Plus, Mommie ordered some green net stuff to put over them. When it comes in the mail we will try that and see if it helps keep them away. Oh, yes, Daddy loved the cookies and so did my big brother Scott and so did I! They sure were yummy! I hope you have a blessed and beautiful Sunday today. I must get ready for Sunday School. Bye Bye for now. Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  2. Yes, Jesus loves us!! That stump sure does look like a bear cub! Good catch! The blueberries look delicious and so do those cookies! You are a good helper, Lily!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Terri! Yes, "Little Stumpy Bear" sure had us fooled! That's what I'm going to call him from now on, "Little Stumpy Bear". And yes, those blueberries are wonderful, but Mommie said we need to stop eating so many or we will turn blue. LOL. And yes, the cookies were yummy. I like to help! It's always fun to help Mommie do stuff. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday today! Remember, Jesus loves you! Bye Bye for now. Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
  3. I love the little chickadees but I do hope the bluebirds will win - they were the firsts ones there after all. I was sad when they left the last time. I was hoping to see babies. I sure did think that was a bear cub in those last photos. I would have bet on it! Enjoy those yummy blueberries and delicious cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Miss Martha, I so agree with you. Mommie said maybe we will have to put up another birdhouse so they will both have a place to stay. That's a good thought! And yes, I was kind of scared when I first saw that "bear cub", but he didn't move or growl at us, so we decided he was a friendly bear cub, and then, well...apparently he's just an old stump! But I still like to think he's a friendly little bear cub. And yes, we ARE enjoying the blueberries and cookies. Mommie said maybe we need to slow down on eating so many berries at once and give our bodies a chance to catch up...she said you'd probably understand that. Okay, time for me to get ready for Sunday School. I hope you have a happy Sunday today! Bye bye. Love, Lily Grace.

      Delete
  4. Would you look at the size of those berries?! Wow. Pretty soon you'll have to put up your own road-side stand: "Lily's Blueberries ... come and get-em!"
    I'm SO HAPPY the bluebirds have returned; hope the chickadees don't try and start something. Please keep us informed, okay?

    Macie and Gracie and me sing 'Jesus Loves Me' just about every morning. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a fun idea! My own farmstand with "Lily's Blueberries". I think that would be so much fun Miss Myra! Maybe nice people like you would come and buy them! Oh, and we still don't know for sure who will end up in the birdhouse. We will be watching to see what happens. It rained too much yesterday for them to decide what to do I think. Mommie said maybe we need to get another house and put it out there so they won't have to fight over it. Pretty soon we'll have a whole little village of birdhouses! Oh, I would love to hear Macie and Gracie sing Jesus Loves Me. Hey, Gracie is kind of like MY name, Lily GRACE! You must record them singing and share it with us. I hope you have a happy Sunday today!! Bye bye for now. Love, Lily Grace

      Delete
    2. Lily Grace: I didn't believe I would do very well at church today. I have this implant devise sticking our of me under my left shoulder. It sometimes hurts when I move wrong. I will have this thing with me until Friday afternoon. I have to be careful that I don't bump my arm or it stings. I love the story of the Bluebirds. They are beautiful. Peace and blessing on you and yours.

      Delete
    3. Oh Miss Quiet Spirit, I hope the implant thing doesn't cause you anymore discomfort, and that all of your special treatments will be over soon so you can feel better and go to church and do other things you like to do. Mommie and I are still praying for you every day. Please know that Jesus loves you and He is taking good care of you. bye bye for now. Love, Lily

      Delete
  5. Oh, I thought it was a bear cub! How scary! (smiles)

    I love blueberries and they don't start coming along here until late July. All those treats look so yummy, grin and what a great helper you are.

    I hope you have a beautiful Sunday, Lily Grace. P.S. Meant to tell you, Stephen the Sloth has moved to another part of the house! I'm like, "How'ed you get there?" He said, "The George family kicked me out because I was too lazy!" Oh dear. Then, I noticed Baby Chick moved too...interesting things go on when I am not here...sigh. I think they like playing tricks on me...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Miss Linda! I was kind of scared of that "bear cub" at first, but now we just call him Little Stumpy Bear. He makes us smile. Oh, Mommie says if you move further south, you can get blueberries much earlier than July, hint hint. LOL. And you must tell the George Family to leave Stephen the SLoth alone. He can't help it if he is slow. That is just how God made him to be! And where did Baby Chick move to? Sometimes things happen like that here at our house too. Mommie has a stuffed "rat" they call "Ratty". Sometimes he gets moved into the strangest places so that when Mommie sees him unexpectedly she will scream! It's all good fun, but sometimes a little weird. That's how life is I guess in the world of stuffed animals and dolls and real people. You just never know what might happen next, so keep your eyes open! Bye Bye for now. Love, Lily Grace xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  6. are you SURE those aren't pictures FROM OUR YARD HERE? ha ha Because those are the same birds me and my Mommie watch all the time too, ha ha. I love the pretty bluebirds. Daddy built them houses, but they refuse to nest in them and have chosen to put their nests in other places. I love to watch them come feed, they eat the treats Daddy puts out for them. The girl bluebirds and the boy bluebirds both. That sure looks like A BABY BEAR FOR SURE!!! I saw them in books, so I know what they are, ha ha. Ive had cornonthecob now!!! oh my goodness isn't IT SO DELICIOUS? Mommie loves it so much. We like everything....we just LIKE TO EAT! ha ha Love, Tracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracie! thank you so much for visiting me again! I love it when you come to visit here! Oh, I am happy that you and I both have the same kinds of birds in our yards! Aren't the bluebirds so beautiful? We are watching the "drama" every day between the Chickadees and the Bluebirds. We think the bluebirds are winning this one so far, but time will tell. And yes, didn't that "Little Stumpy Bear" look like a real bear cub for real? He was so cute. And he didn't even growl at me. Oh, I am happy you like cornonthecob now too! Maybe when we get together someday we can have some! Wouldn't THAT be fun? Yes, it is scrumptious! That's a new big word I learned! It describes corn on the cob pretty well, don't you agree? Yes, we like to eat too! Always something good to eat around here! I hope you have a good night Tracie. I am getting ready for bed now, but Mommie saw your comment and said we could stay up long enough to answer you, but now I MUST go to bed! So good night Tracie. I love you. Hope to talk to you again soon. Love, Lily Grace xoxoxoxo

      Delete

I am so happy you have come to visit with me today. Please sign my little guestbook so I will know who you are and we can get acquainted!

Easter Time!

Happy Easter Time everyone!!  Yesterday was Easter, and I hope you all had a wonderful day celebrating that Jesus came out of the dark damp ...